I want to share some tips regarding efficiency, self-care, and relaxation in a busy world. I suppose I’m fulfilling my inner narcissist by giving all this unsolicited advice, BUT I do truly want help people learn more about the mind.
I know my body and brain. I know that my anxiety tends to flare up when I stop taking care of my spirit because of a busy schedule. However, I have learned a few tricks to harness my anxiety during chaos. Grad school, work, and life combine to create a somewhat daunting schedule. There are days I leave my house at 5:30am and get home at 9:30pm. Essentially, I work a reversed 9-5 job. In a nine day period, I work as a nurse for 48 hours, a nurse practitioner student for 60 hours, and juggle the roles of fiance, mom, daughter, and friend. Oh, and I’m currently taking full time classes for school.
Life is wild. My anxiety used to skew my perception of busy and flare up during swamped schedules. Over the past year, I’ve learned to harness that anxious energy and transform it into efficiency. I try to maximize my downtime and embrace small moments of self-care. There has always been a direct relationship with how busy I am and my anxiety. I think that is a common relationship: more going on=more stress. Let’s shift that perspective.
Instead of your inner voice believing: hectic life=more stress…
Change your dialog: hectic life=an opportunity to grow and create ways to relax
How to stay sane in a turbulent world:
- Crock Pots
- Need I say more? Throw some protein, veggies, seasonings in these little bad boys and set it and forget it! (Shout out to the old Ronco Rotisserie infomercial that I had an unhealthy obsession with as a child…)
- You save SO much time and energy by having a home cooked meal that requires very little thought. Your people will be fed and happy.
- Dry Shampoo
- This is a majestical tube of glory the beamed down from the heavens.
- It takes me an hour to wash/dry/straighten my thick head of hair, so now (secrets out) I only wash it twice a week and keep it alive with dry shampoo.
- This literally adds an hour to my sleep and that is a glorious thing
- Sneaky Workouts
- My fitbit resurfaced from the bottom of a gym bag and I love it!
- The first thing I drop in a busy life is working out, but I’ve learned you can get a workout anywhere
- Try parking far away from the store/work and walking around while you are waiting or on the phone
- Take the stairs EVERYWHERE
- Eat an early lunch and use your actual lunch break to run at the park
- Audio CDs
- Yes, that is still a thing
- I have my school lectures converted to CDs so I can listen to information while I drive…maximum efficiency
- I don’t have a picture because they are in the car and phones+cars are dangerous! Sheesh.
- Slow down at least once an hour during the day and take 3 breaths
- I don’t care how hippy dippy it sounds, that shit works
- Emptying the dishwasher? Breathe. Walking to the restroom? Breathe. Sitting at a red light? Breathe
- Take 5 minutes in the morning for light yoga and a gentle transition from night to morning
You can maintain a balanced mind during chaos. You simply need to be creative in incorporating actives that guide you towards a healthy mind, body, and spirit.
Love and Light.